Friday, 25 January 2013

Being introduced

This is the first time I am writing a content about my experience from this course. Indeed, this almost quarter of the semester have past and i appreciate the fact that i actually learned about a very interesting app, DrRacket and some history of computer science since i attended the lecture. The field of computer science is completely new to me. My knowledge, about what the computers are capable of, is very limited. From the computer that i am using, beside turning on and off the device, i can only use the internet. I am a life science student and as most of the classmates are, i am taking this course as an elective course. Because i was enrolled in this course from the second week of the semester, i was falling behind from the rest of the classmates. It was tedious to catch up, but i also found the things that are covered in the lecture are very interesting.
 
Being introduced to DrRacket, i was astonished by what i could produce. It was fun to rotate, flip (vertically and horizontally) the pictures. I could also make the pictures smaller or larger. With DrRacket, i created my own function to produce certain patterns. However, this week's function called (check-expect) was little bit challenging to understand how it works. In ordered to understand completely about the function (check-expect) i watched fourth part of definitions videos several times. It was challenging, but after understanding what i could do with it, i realized it was worth it.

Another thing about computer science that struck me is that its close relationship with math. One's ability to problem-solve is critically important in this field just like math. The problem about paper folding, which was to solve about crease pattern was very interesting and thought-provoking. Also, from the last week's lecture i had problem with understanding about Fibonacci's number. (Hopefully, by this weekend i understand it)

In the end, i really hope i gain as much knowledge about computers from this course as possible. I will try my best to obtain skills with computers and the worthy experiences that may help my future.

2 comments:

  1. Try googling "Vi Hart fibonacci" --- here, I've done it for you:

    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DahXIMUkSXX0&ei=RxAEUabPA8aIygGP4IDQDw&usg=AFQjCNELDMpp4n3Akf2Lw_nPZC_7AREyxg&sig2=28fBQrnp6422Xi03x56V2Q&bvm=bv.41524429,d.aWc

    I find it pretty entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! this video helped so much!!

    ReplyDelete